Sunday, July 1, 2007

Rod & Todd Flanders

Emily and Kaylee have recently taken to playing "Communion". They break off pieces of thier buttered bun, that was for dipping in their soup, and say, "The body of Jesus for you", then the give each other drinks of milk, "The blood of Jesus for you."

They continue with with, "I'm a disciple!" Or, the only slightly heretical, "I'm Jesus!"

I supose I should be encouraged at this seemingly advanced spiritual exploration and development. But it kinda freaks me out. Kids playing "Communion" doesn't seem normal. I guess I have a running subtext in my head about the sterotypical, and irrevocably messed up, pastor's kids. Also, growing up normal myself, (i.e. not Christian) I don't have a frame of reference for this sort of thing.

It kinda reminds of Rod & Todd Flanders. I'll try to remain calm and ride it out.

3 comments:

Rob Scott said...

I'm going to go and throw out all their evil secular toys and replace them with Bible action figures and "fun with fundamentalists" activity sets.

s. m. d. said...

You know I've thought about this a lot lately, and for some time. I was raised Christian, but not evangelical, and I have a fair amount of discomfort when I see kids in that mode. Moreover, I have greater discomfort when I see parents and churches teaching kids to use all the rhetoric and "Christianese," which I just thinks allows people to hide some really bad ideas behind pious language.

All that being said, the twins are young, and you may wistfully remember these days when they hit the teenage years, cut their hair, join thrash folk metal bands, and buy dangerous hover scooters to go pick up boys at the local clubs.

stacey said...

I'm not sure what a thrash folk metal band is, but I think I'd approve. And I really want a hover scooter! Me first!