Friday, July 27, 2007

Something Broken - Something New

The other day, Emily and Kaylee each had a candy watch with a square candy face. Kalyee dropped her's and it broke into four or five pieces.

"Wahhhhhhhh!"

I came to see what was wrong.

"It breaked, and I don't want it to be breaked!" she was in a panic.

I told her I didn't think I could fix it. That led to hieghtened hysterics.

"I can't fix it," I said. "But sometimes when something get's broken, it becomes something new."

Emily thought that was a pretty good deal, and so she threw her's on the floor intentionally to break it.

"Look Kaylee!" Emily delcared excitedly as she inspected the newly broken pieces of her candy watch. "It turns into candy!" (The fact that it was already candy was entirly beside the point.)

Kaylee was unconvinced and continued to cry. Emily was determined.

"Look Kalyee! It's a new thing! Just try it Kaylee."

Eventually Kaylee consided and tried her "new candy". She decided it was pretty good after all - even if it tased suspicioulsy like the old candy.

I like the idea that something broken, can become something new.

1 comment:

Rob Scott said...

Brilliant children. I've got to meet them sometime.