Thursday, July 5, 2007

The non-un people

We Christians like categories.

The one that bugs me most right now is the "non-un people". You know, the unchurched, non-Chrsitans, unsaved people - them. I'm not sure it's a helpful way to refer to people. Really, how'd you like to be a non-un person? And is it possible to have a way of looking at other people on whatever journey they are on that doesn't include an us vs. them attitude?

I know God will judge everyone at the end of time and He will seperate the sheep from the goats, yaddy yadda. But that's for God to do, not me.

I'm wondering what would happen if we stopped being so condesending and demoraizing to people by using terms that began with 'non' and 'un'. Maybe they'd come to understand Christ's love and redeeming power in their lives sooner.

Maybe we would too.

2 comments:

s. m. d. said...

Oh man, could I write an essay (poorly) on this. But I won't. At least not here. I sympathize completely; this being one of the big reasons why change is good for me right now.

stacey said...

Mr. SMD

I'd be most interested in your essay. Here's what I was wondering more about after we were talking today. How do we tell if someone is saved?

Here's what I'm really wondering, though. Why is it important for us to know?

It's important for God to know, and for the person to know - I guess. But maybe that's it. Maybe it's only important for God to know.