Thursday, July 12, 2007

A new kind of Christian makes me mental

Everyone said read Brian McLaren. His book, A New Kind of Christian, is great. It’s radical. It’s a new way of thinking. So I read it. And it totally freaked me out. But not because it’s so radical. Rather most of what he proposes is an unmitigated no-brainer to me. I don’t mean to sound arrogant. It’s a good book and all, but most of what he presents as new and edgy I thought was standard Christianity. Rob reminds me of a couple of differences between the author and myself. He’s an American evangelical writing almost 10 years ago. I’m a younger Canadian, (younger than Brian McLaren anyway…) with a secular up brining who was “saved” into the Anglican Church as a young adult. My worldview is different.

Okay.

But here’s my problem. It says in his book, and I’m starting to see in among some Christians I know, that what he talks about is considered heresy. I can’t even express how much that disturbs me.

I guess it has me on edge for a couple of reasons.

1. I don’t want people to think I’m heretical. I don’t want people to be afraid of me. That makes me sad. Or to think I’m falling away from my faith or questioning basic tenants of the faith. I’m not. It makes me angry people would question that. (Although, admittedly, I when around evangelicals I tend to emphasis the fact that I’m a “liturgical” Christian as opposed to an “evangelical” Christian (in fact, I’m both as well as “charismatic”) not that those distinctions matter much to me, but it just amuses me to see the obvious line of questions to do with veracity of my salvation run across their minds. Sometimes they voice them, sometimes they don’t.)

2. There is a version of Christianity I think is destructive. This is the version McLaren is questioning in his book. I think there is a way of doing Christianity that hurts some people, that causes them to become more distant from God, that draws them away from hope, and into despair. I’ve heard of it, and I’ve seen it happen. It makes me sad to see it, but it enrages me to see people defend this form of Christianity as the only true expression of Christian faith. Like, really really enrages me.

3. Its stupid (i.e. thoughtless, fear-based, ignorant and shortsighted) and stupid stuff bugs me.

4. And the thing that gets me the most, is that I think I’ve actually seen it. That’s what really freaks me out. I think it’s alive and well, not just some relic of modern American culture. It’s here, in my own Christian communities. I think it’s controlling forces that could be used for untold good within the church and parachurch world - holding them hostage, keeping them stagnant. That makes me mental.

5. I don’t know what to do about it.

I realize I haven’t done a good job explaining what this “destructive” version of Christianity is – what it looks like. But I guess I’d need a book to do that. I also haven’t really explained McLaren’s premise in A New Kind of Christian, so, since he does both in his book, I suggest you read it. Then at least you’ll know what I’m talking about.

No comments: