Saturday, February 20, 2010

Breath


So I'm getting the idea that focusing on breath is important in yoga. It's got me thinking about "breath". I guess you're actually not supposed to be thinking about much else anyway. I like it though. I like working to quite the mind and focus on something simple. It seems simple but the more I think about it, the more involved my thinking about breath becomes. In different poses I can imagine my breath being different "shapes" in my body. Tor example, as I told Nicole, in child's pose my breath feels frog-shaped. There's all the visualization that yoga teachers give about drawing in life and energy with each inhale and releasing, melting, grounding with each exhale. I can think of a slowly pulsing light. Sometimes I also think about how God created Adam in Genesis: ...."the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." Breath is life. Life placed within us by God. It moves through us and sustains us by his grace and by his power. I can imagine it's the holy spirit - the breath of life - the breath of God moving in me. From there the meaning grows and evolves. Stop and take a deep breath.

No comments: