Sunday, September 16, 2007

People are people too.

Is there a difference between personal and professional relationships? I always thought there was. I believed in some very important distinction. It occurred to me recently I don't know what that distinction is. Now I'm wondering if all relationships aren't "personal". If they involve people, how could it be otherwise? Oddly this little shift in thinking effects how I think of people in my "professional" sphere, how I interact with them and how I treat them. Not only close colleagues, but suppliers, clients, media, and any other stakeholders.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly the reason I have trouble at work (one of). I have trouble with distinctions between professional and personal relationships. On the other hand, I have excellent distinctions between professional and personal situations. A lot of people seem to operate the other way around.

stacey said...

Okay, what's the difference between a personal situation and a professional situation? If I could figure that out, I could probably extrapolate the difference between professional and personal relationships.

The phrase that pops into my head when I think about this is maintaining a "professional distance." Well, that's just a personal distance we maintain to keep things "professional" by which we mean we don't want to be involved in each other's lives/problems/issues.

Lame!

Anonymous said...

OOO OOO!! It's like what Meg Ryan's character says to Tom Hank's character in "You've Got Mail" - you know, when she has the cold, And he knows who she is, but she doesn't know he's him yet? - You know that part. And I think she's giving him heck for saying "It wasn't personal" (cause he ruined her business on purpose). And she says that that's a stupid thing to say, because it's always personal to someone. - yah, you know that part??!!

... man I love Greg Kinear...