Tuesday, September 4, 2007

God and the Velveteen Rabbit

The other day as we were walking to the park Emily asked me, “Will God become real one day, like the Velveteen Rabbit?” So interesting to watch them work through spirituality, magic, story and reality. I don’t mind at all if they blend a bit for now. In fact I think those things blending a bit more wouldn’t hurt any of us.

Sometimes they’ll ask me if something’s really real. I’m always reluctant to give them a direct answer. On a wooded path at the Lake Kalyee asked me once if fairies were real. “Well, I’ve never actually seen one,” I admitted. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t look for them. I think this is a good fairy path. Don’t you?”

I know many would accuse me of confusing my children. How can they learn to distinguish between inalienable truth of God and His Son, Jesus Christ, if we mix in magic and myth? They won’t be able to discern truth from fantasy. It will undermine their faith, their relationship with God, why, the very salvation of their souls!

Yet my instincts tell me the opposite is true. Creating a capacity for belief, imagination and comprehending a reality beyond what our five senses can perceive is not a simple thing. I think it’s innate to each of us, but complex too. Not only is God real, but there is room in His Kingdom for magic and mystery. And in fact, we don’t know everything. I think it’s possible that if we look for fairies along paths in the forest we might just find them.

6 comments:

Nicole MacIver Okiring said...

I love the Velveteen Rabbit story and I love that you are cultivating magic, mystery and imagination in Emily and Kaylee. I hope it's not too late for us to do the same in our own lives.

Rob Scott said...

I meet a lot of fairies in Kensington.

s. m. d. said...

Cultivating an appreciation for magic and mystery has to be the beginning of cultivating a sense of the divine. It gives me a great sense of lightness and joy to think that there is room in God's kingdom for magic and mystery, and to think in turn that my time is not wasted looking for those things now. I should do more of that.

Ontario Emperor said...

One word: Narnia.

stacey said...

Yah, CS Lewis didn't seem to be as freaked out by magic and mystery as some in the church are today.

Anonymous said...

wow, honestly, I have never seen it this way. Does make sense though. I have often struggled as a parent trying to "raise them up in the way they should go". Realizing the way they should go is not always MY way. Allowing the creative to flow while mataining a balance because of all the influences in this world has been difficult. But God.....